Historical Preservation often starts with a facade restoration or "facelift." The building was originally the Northwestern National Bank and was constructed in 1888-1889 by Henry Marple using red brick and Lake Superior sandstone in a Romanesque Revival style.
Over time and usage, the building was in need of repair. The museum got all new windows to match what would have been the originals as well as new awnings to reinforce a date of signficance in the late 19th century. For the interior, woodwork, leaded glass transom windows, and original tile flooring were revealed and restored and new display areas were created.
Display photos courtesy of:
See more about the restoration at:
Dacotah Prairie Museum
Aberdeen, SD 2003